20011114: information for machine to be installed in Data Center (2nd)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Dee, et. al.,

Have you gotten any word back from your technical computing group about
the three IP addresses for the Sun E450 to be installed in the SSEC
Data Center?  What about the netmask and gateway?  If not, can you give
us a contact name/email address so we can follow-up?

Additionally, has there been any thought to machine names?

Recently you noted that the Data Center will have 100 Mb Ethernet
networking.  A year ago you mused that you might be getting Gb
networking, so we decided to send the machine with both interfaces.  If
Gb networking capability is not on the horizon, we would just as soon
keep the Gb Ethernet card here as we can use it internally.  Comments?

One last thing: for purposes of Sun support, we need point of contact
information at SSEC:

Name
Phone Number
email address

US Postal address of the installation site (I assume that this is 1225 W
Dayton, etc.)
Floor and room number where the machine will be installed

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

Unidata Support wrote:

> >From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>
> Dee, et. al.,
>
> Have you gotten any word back from your technical computing group about
> the three IP addresses for the Sun E450 to be installed in the SSEC
> Data Center?  What about the netmask and gateway?  If not, can you give
> us a contact name/email address so we can follow-up?

> Tom,
> I have not gotten the IP's  or other info from TC yet. We are eyeball deep in
> our network change so I have not bugged them too much. I will follow up with
> them today and get back to you.

> Additionally, has there been any thought to machine names?

I don't think we care as long as it is not obscene and easy to spell.

> Recently you noted that the Data Center will have 100 Mb Ethernet
> networking.  A year ago you mused that you might be getting Gb
> networking, so we decided to send the machine with both interfaces.  If
> Gb networking capability is not on the horizon, we would just as soon
> keep the Gb Ethernet card here as we can use it internally.  Comments?

Go ahead and keep the Gb card. We do not feel we will need to go that
route for quite some time.  The issue I have though is that my HP
switch is full.  We did not anticipate 3 addresses for this machine.  I
am going to ask Denise about Unidata funds buying one.  We are talking
in the 2k range.

> One last thing: for purposes of Sun support, we need point of contact
> information at SSEC:

If I remember correctly SUN will not accept a generic name like
Operations or Data Center so on my contracts I have numerous people
listed. So here goes the list:

> Name
> Phone Number
> email address

Douglas Ratcliff       address@hidden
Janean Hill            address@hidden
Rosanne Spangler       address@hidden
Jerrold Robaidek       address@hidden
Steve Wonzong          address@hidden
Scott Nolin            address@hidden

All at:

University of WI Madison,
Space Science and Engineering Center
1225 West Dayton St
Madison, WI 53706

> US Postal address of the installation site (I assume that this is 1225 W
> Dayton, etc.)
> Floor and room number where the machine will be installed

6th floor room 649

--
Dee Wade
McIDAS User Services and SSEC Data Center

Web: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug         http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 14 13:07:24 2001
>CC: Unidata Support <address@hidden>,
>   Data Center Ops <address@hidden>,
>   Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20011114: information for machine to be installed in Data Center
>(2nd)

Ok then I would pick 3:
Roseann Spangler (any female can say she is Roise)
Jerrold Robaidek
Douglas Ratcliff

We would like to talk to you about the raid connections.  What phone
number can we call to to talk to you.  It would probably be in the next
1/2 hour.  We are having a few problems right now with our new
network.

Dee

--
Dee Wade
McIDAS User Services and SSEC Data Center
Space Science and Engineering Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison                 Email: address@hidden
1225 West Dayton Street                                   Voice: 608.263.0527
Madison, WI  53706                                          Fax: 608.263.6738

Web: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug         http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter

>From address@hidden Wed Nov 14 13:48:19 2001
>To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
>CC: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20011114: information for machine to be installed in Data Center
>(2nd)

Ok here is the info from our TC folks.

Note name changed to unidata2  Scott does not want to use just Unidata
since it is already used and there may be a transition time.  TC alos
wants to deal with the aliases later but he would rather keep it short
and drop the unidata.ssec to just ssec.

Dee

From TC:
hostname: unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu