20020110: McIDAS AREA files (cont.)

>From: dan braithwaite <address@hidden>

Dan,

re: access to SATEPS data

>I haven't heard back from them yet.  Susan is out of the office until
>end of Feb02.  Her auto response mentioned 2 other people
>
>address@hidden and/or address@hidden.
>
>I had also cc'd Brian, but I guess I should send to the 2 above as
>well.  I'll see if I can get somebody on the phone tomorrow for some
>preliminary discussion.

Some of the folks that you are trying to contact may be participating
in the AMS annual meeting in Orlando (where I am now).

re: what are you doing with the data

>We use only the IR4 (currently) to estimate almost global
>precipitation.  The other 4 channels are archived until such time as
>the researchers want those channels incorporated into the model.

OK.

re: caveats

>> o if the sheer volume of data requested causes problems (network,
>>   machine, etc.) we would need to impose limits
>>
>> o in keeping with the spirit of cooperation in the Unidata community,
>>   we would ask you to provide access to your data holdings to others
>>   (quid pro quo).  This would be through ADDE and possibly DODS, Java
>>   RMI, and FTP.
>
>I'm not real familiar with anything but FTP right now, but we can setup
>other stuff as necessary.

So, you were FTPing the data from Hawaii?  I think that the first access
we will be providing to the community on the new machine we are installing
at SSEC/UW will be through McIDAS ADDE, so you may need to come up to
speed on that.

>What kind of access would we need to provide?

Run a McIDAS ADDE remote server and let Unidata sites get data on demand
off of your system. We are not looking for FTP access at the moment.

>I have lots of archived data, but it very time and resource consuming
>for me to provide archived data.

If the near term archived data were easily accessible, then it would
be "nice" if access was provided to it.  If not, then access to the
more realtime data would be sufficient.

>The recent data downloads I try to
>archive every day.

OK, but how long does that data stay on disk?

>As a heavy data user, who often asks others for
>data/help, I would be happy to provide access to my data holdings.

Wonderful.

>But, I can't keep too much online for access or promise to provide
>large quantities of archived stuff from tapes at this time with my
>resources.

What volume of data do you keeping online?

>We will certainly try to do our part in the community.

Super.

>When can I get started downloading some test data from UNIDATA.

The new server machine has been delivered to the SSEC Data Center,
but it has not been installed.  After installation, there will be
some time lag before we can populate the datasets with data and
make them available.  I am eager for this to get rolling, but my
hands are tied by external factors.

>Can
>you point me to the docs that will tell what tools I'll need to access
>some data to see how it will work for us.

You will probably need to start getting familiar with McIDAS.  To do this,
you should:

o register as a Unidata user through

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu
o peruse the Unidata McIDAS HomePage:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780/index.html

>Will we be able to get MET & GMS as well as GOES?

>I have used McIDAS data before and am comfortable extracting the binary
>data and nav info from them as well as do some crude displays.

OK, you might be interested in some of the display/manipuation capabilities
available in McIDAS.  I can help you get your feet wet after I return
from the AMS Annual Meeting here in Orlando.

>thanks again,

Have a look through the various documents in the McIDAS HomePage.  When
I get back to Boulder, we can work on getting you setup with McIDAS and
ADDE.

Tom Yoksas