20020122: AVN model (cont.)

>From: Anthony James Wimmers <address@hidden>

Tony,

Here are some sage words of information from Steve Chiswell:

>I contributed to a paper last fall and got some reviews back
>this week. They asked a question about models that you may
>be able to shed some like on for me.
>
>The paper uses PV from the MM5 made by NCAR. Jennie and I
>contributed PV from the AVN also. Do these models use the
>same NCEP analysis system and are thus not independent?

Since the MM5 is likely initialized with model output from
one or more NCEP models, the results will not be totally
independent.

>Maybe the answer to that depends on how NCAR uses the MM5.

Yes, exactly.

>In that case, can you tell me whether the AVN uses the NCEP
>analysis system for sure?

The MM5 can use a number of different parameterization schemes.
Exactly which one was used for the particular run you are dealing
with depends on what was selected for that run.  To find this out,
you would have to either search through NCAR web pages that
might have the information, or contact support at NCAR to see
if they can help you out.

>I hadn't heard of it as the "NCEP analysis system" before.
>Is this the right characterization?

Neither Steve or I is familiar with the term "NCEP analysis system",
so we can't help you.  Perhaps NCAR support could?

>Thanks,

Sorry we couldn't provide more concrete information...

Tom