20020606: request username & passwd for unidata.ssec.wisc.edu sat archive

>From: "Creasey, Robert" <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

Long time no hear...

>I am in need of some GOES-W area file sat data from Nov 1-5 2001.  I found
>this web page ( http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html ) which
>indicates it might have what I need.  Can I get a account to access the
>archive?

There is good news and bad news (and then possibly good news).  First,
yes, you can get access to the unirec machine.  The bad news is that
this machine torched about a month ago (disk fried).  The availability
of the replacement for unirec is in the not too distant future (we
have a new machine sitting in the SSEC Data Center waiting final
installation), but it is not ready to go, and since it isn't ready,
access to that archive isn't ready either.

Now, the potentially good news is that SSEC operates a different archive
from which .edu sites can get data for free.  The problem is that you
(NPS) are a .mil site, so your access is not guaranteed.  If you can
tell us exactly which data you are looking for, I would be willing
to access the archive on your behalf and then relay the data to you.
For reference, the SSEC web site for the "other" archive is:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter

If you click on the link 'Archive Data Information', you will get to
a page that contains the following at the bottom:

"A portion of our archive is also available free of charge, to
universities for non-commercial use. For information regarding this
service go to EDU Requests (access restricted)"

You have already told me you want GOES-West for Nov 1-5 2001.  Do you
you need VIS, IR, and H2O, or is there a subset you really want?

If you don't want to rely on us (you can trust us :-), you could send
a request to the address@hidden email list (you must be
a subscribed member to this list before you can post to it, however).
Like with the SSEC Unidata-Wisconsin archive, you would need to
specify exactly what you are looking for so some kind folk(s) can
extract exactly what you need from their archive.

>As always,  thanks for your time and help!

No worries.  Please let me know if you would like us to act as a
surrogate for you for the .edu archive access at SSEC.