[no subject]

>From: "Sarah Delene Winters" <address@hidden>

Sarah,

>Do you have any navigational radar or satellite data available in a format
>other than McIDAS?

The individual NEXRAD Level III radar products are sent in the IDD
NNEXRAD feed in the format they are from NOAAPORT, a zlib compressed
format.  Some of the NEXRAD composite images available in the IDD
FNEXRAD feed are in GINI format (others are in McIDAS AREA format).

>What exactly is GINI?

GINI is the format that the NWS chose for satellite images that get
sent out in NOAAPORT.  It is similar to McIDAS AREA in that there is a
header at the beginning of the product that describes what the image is
and what kind of navigation the image has.  It is less flexible than
McIDAS AREA format in that it can only handle simple geometric
projections like Lambert Conformal Tangent, Polar Stereographic, and
Mercator.

I have to say that the way you asked your question seems a little
strange to me.  Usually folks are looking for imagery in a particular
format, not in a format other than a particular format.  Can I ask why
you are looking for imagery in formats specifically not McIDAS?  The
reason I ask is that the McIDAS AREA format for imagery is a widely
used standard.  It is supported by quite a few applications including
all that are distributed by Unidata.

>Thanks,
>Sarah Slusser

Tom Yoksas