20020624: NEXRAD Level III data in WSI format (cont.)

>From: Louis Nguyen <address@hidden>

Louis,

>Thanks for responding.  We're looking for another real-time source for
>NEXRAD data that is in a format other than mcidas.  For our needs, we
>use the ADDE nexrad server at WISC.  However, other groups want the
>other format.  They need it for near real-time data assimilation.
>Looks like they are out of luck.  I will have to get it from NOAA NCDC
>once our experiment in FL is over.

The data comes in NOAAPORT, so if you have access to a site that has
a NOAAPORT receiver and is getting the NWSTG channel, you can get
all of the NEXRAD data that there is to get in near real-time.

If you are only planning on using the NEXRAD imagery for a short period
of time, and if you do not need to grab all of the imagery from all of
the stations, we could setup you up with an LDM feed of the data.  I
believe that your original note was inquiring about access to the data
for about a month.  What it didn't say was exactly which of the data
you were after.  As you know, there are 17 products being sent for each
of the almost 160 NEXRADs throughout the country.  Since any of these
radar can send up to 12 images an hour for each type of product, you
can end up trying to get a LOT of images (160x17x12/hour)!

If your intention is to only grab a few products from a few sites for a
limited amount of time, we could give you web/ftp access to our the raw
Level III products.  We don't give out this information to many since
we have found that folks tend to abuse the access.

Please let me know exactly what you need to get, and I will see if I
can come up with something.

>BTW, thanks for the SATOVERLAY and SATRADAR programs.  They came in
>handy.  THe original version suits us.  We are generate radar
>composites of the FL area on a near real-time basis for our
>experiment.  It works okay.  One thing the SATOVERLAY and SATRADAR
>programs lack is the distant to station computation for each pixel.

The programmer at BoM is once again working on these routines.  The
latest information I got from him was that he is now able to overlay
any satellite data on top of any other satellite data.  It sounds like
the work has really progressed.

>It blindly overlays one station over the other w/o taking
>consideration of using the close pixel to the station.

This is pretty much the same way that the AWIPS display component for
D2D works: echos are plopped on top of the display in a manner that
the last one wins for locations covered by more than one radar.

>So what we did
>was wrote a program that will merge a group of stations together into
>one radar file and then use the SATOVERLAY or SATRADAR to do the
>overlay.

Sounds good.

>Can we still use the radar composite server at PLYMOUTH or NSF?  It's
>set up nicely and it's easy to use.

Yes.  For reference, the NEXRCOMP dataset is available from a set of
cooperating servers at Unidata community sites:

pscwx.plymouth.edu
atm.geo.nsf.gov
cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
weather2.admin.niu.edu