Date: Friday, July 12, 2002 10:23 PM +0000
From: address@hidden
Subject: Increased data (New FSL ACARS Information Forum Post 1271)

A new message, "Increased data," was posted on the FSL ACARS Information Forum
(http://acweb.fsl.noaa.gov/oper/forum/)  by Bill Moninger on  12 Jul 02, 16:23
MT
The message reads as follows:

Early this week, we reached a new record: more than 180,000 ACARS/AMDAR
observations world-wide in 24 hours.

In the US, causes for this include the following:

1) A few weeks ago UAL turned on about 100 of its turbulence-measuring
aircraft.  On the plan view display, these can be identified by flight tracks
that appear mostly brown.  (Brown is the 'bad data' color, and these aircraft
produce 3 turbulence-only observatiions for each regular observation.  The
turbulence-only obs lack temperature and wind, so fail our QC.)

2) On Monday of this week, we added an additional fleet of American Airlines
aircraft to the web site. These aircraft are currently providing ascent data
only, over North America and Hawaii, about 8000 observations per day. Thanks to
Roy Strasser (AA) and Leslie Ewy (FSL) for this.

-Bill

and use the '(un)subscribe' option to remove your name, or send your
request directly to (address@hidden).

If you wish to respond to this message, please post your response
directly to the board, or make sure that the subject line in your reply
begins with 'Re:' and ends with '1271)'.  Please avoid including the
entire text of this message in your reponse, quote it sparingly. Thank you!

Linda Miller - address@hidden
External Liaison, Unidata
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000