20020827: UNIWISC data feed; NIMAGE data feed (cont.)

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Dave,

>Thanks for the info.  I knew we could get the data through McIDAS but
>our weather station manager still wants us to have it here in house.

You could, of course, setup ADDE transfers of the products/sectors you
want and then you would have it in house.  The output file format would
be McIDAS AREA which is usable by all Unidata-supplied display/analysis
applications.

>All we need is the GOES-8 IR and VIS 15 minute data.

OK, this is still a good bit of data.

>I have enough disk space and as for bandwidth ... we'll see.

If you don't have the bandwidth, please don't continue to try and
ingest the products.  The current design of the LDM is such that
a site with a slow/bad connection can impact other sites being fed
from the same server.  This is a known limitation to the LDM design
and is being investigated.

>Could you set us up with the NIMAGE feed

I added an allow for twister.millersville.edu for the NIMAGE feed
on atm.geo.nsf.gov.

>and let me know the pqact.conf/ldmd.conf entries for this type feed?

pqact.conf entries for the PNG compressed NIMAGE GINI products follow
the examples for PNG compressed FNEXRAD GINI products.  Examples are
included in the LDM-McIDAS pages on using the LDM-McIDAS decoders:

LDM-McIDAS
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas.html

  Using LDM-McIDAS Decoders
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas-use.html

An example taken from a machine here at the UPC is:

NIMAGE  ^sat/ch[0-9]/.*/(.*)/([12][0-9])([0-9][0-9])([01][0-9])([0-3][0-9])
([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9])/(.*)/(.*km)/
        PIPE    -close
        decoders/pngg2gini -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        data/gempak/nport/\8/\9/\1/\1_\2\3\4\5_\6\7

This entry decodes all NIMAGE images using product header information.
If you limit what you are asking for in your ldmd.conf request line, you
could use this entry as is, or, more likely, change things like directory
locations.

Note: pngg2gini is an ldm-mcidas decoder that became available in LDM-McIDAS
version 7.8.0.  Binary LDM-McIDAS distributions are available; please
look through the LDM-McIDAS web pages for further information.

As to the ldmd.conf entry, you can determine this one yourself pretty easily:

notifyme -vxl- -f NIMAGE -o 3600 -h atm.geo.nsf.gov

This will show you everything in NIMAGE.  From this listing you will notice
that part of the product header identifies the images as either coming
from GOES-8 or GOES-10.  You can then refine your listing to just those
from GOES-8 as follows:

notifyme -vxl- -f NIMAGE -o 3600 -p GOES-8 -h atm.geo.nsf.gov

From this listing, you will see that another portion of the header calls
out the band (wavelength channel) of the image: VIS, 3.9, WV, IR, 12.0.
You would then use this informatio to construct a request for just the
products you want.  A _very_ quick stab at your wish list is:

request NIMAGE "GOES-8/(VIS|IR)/.*/EAST-CONUS" atm.geo.nsf.gov

It is easiest to check your request pattern using notifme:

notifyme -vxl- -f NIMAGE -o 3600 -h atm.geo.nsf.gov -p
"GOES-8/(VIS|IR)/.*/EAST-CONUS"

Refine the pattern until you get exactly what you want, and then add it
to your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf file.

One last word of caution: it is your responsibility to scour the data
files ingested by the LDM.  We provide example C shell scripts that can
be adapted for this use in the pub/ldm5/scour directory of anonymous
FTP on our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  For your purposes, I
would grab and use prune_gini.csh.  The operative things that will
need to be changed in this script are:

PATH    - must have the path information to find itself
KEEP    - how many of each kind of image to keep
areadir - the directory to start from when doing scours (scours down
          limbs of the tree)

The script works by calling itself recursively.  It should be run from
cron routinely.  The frequency at which the script should be run will
be a function of how many files you can store on disk at any time.

My parting comment/request is that if you find you can ingest a good
fraction of the NIMAGE data, I would hope that you would agree to serve
this data through ADDE to other Unidata sites.

>Thanks!!

No worries.

Tom