20020828: NOAAPORT GINI imagery availability in the IDD

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Art,

>Was wondering if GINI satellite data is sent via IDD and what stream it
>would be in.  If not, are there any plans for doing so?

We have held off from a general announcement of the availability of
imagery from NOAAPORT channels 1 & 2 (the NOAAPORT GINI imagery) due to
the sheer volume of the data.  As a simple example, the VIS imagery
from both GOES-East and GOES-West are updated every 15 minutes, and
each product, when unPNG compressed is about 26 MB in size.  The same
products compressed are each 14 MB.  So, in order to ingest just the
VIS products from both GOES-East and GOES-West, you would need to be
able to handle an additional 112 MB per hour of network load and 200 MB
per hour of disk storage capacity.  The other image products from
NOAAPORT are not nearly as large as the VIS ones (the IR channels have
4 km nominal resolution on GOES), but they are large nonetheless.

We will make the data available via the IDD to those sites that can
handle the network volume AND disk storage requirements.  Do you want
to try and receive the NOAAPORT imagery?  If so, I will allow your
machine on a machine at NSF to which we are shipping the data.  Please
include the full name and IP address of the machine that you want to
try and ingest the GINI data on.

Tom