20021030: NWS-Dissemination Directives

I received the following information from the NWS. I am going to send the information in a couple of emails, because of length.

Linda
Dear NWS partners and customers:

As you may know, the National Weather Service is overhauling our entire
set of policy documents, previously known as Weather Service Operations
Manuals (WSOM).  The new replacement documents are known as NWS Policy
Directives (NWSPD) and NWS Instructions (NWSI).  The NWSPD are brief
statements of important, high level direction that guides decisions and
actions throughout NWS.  The related NWSI describe the associated
procedures for NWS offices to follow to generate and disseminate NWS
products.  Follow this link for more information on the NWS Directives
system.

This e-mail is to notify you that the Dissemination NWSPD and several
related Dissemination NWSIs have recently been posted online at
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives.  They are:

       1.   NWSPD 10-17, Dissemination
       2.   NWSI 10-1701, Text Product Formats and Codes
       3.   NWSI 10-1702, UGC
       4.   NWSI 10-1704, Complementary Dissemination Services
       5.   NWSI 10-1710, NWR Dissemination
       6.   NWSI 10-1715, NWWS Dissemination

Summaries of the high level changes in the Dissemination NWSPD and the
associated Dissemination NWSIs are attached.  These summaries are not
available online.

Please note:
1)  NWSI 10-1701 and one portion of NWSI 10-1702 [section 4.k(1)] will
not become effective until February 12, 2003, to allow time for NWS
software changes and staff training, and customer notification and
implementation.  All the rest of the documents listed above became
effective October 1, 2002.

2)  NWSI 10-1701 represents a comprehensive reference for text product
format information gathered from various NWS references.  NWS staff and
NWS partners/customers alike requested consistent formats to facilitate
automated processing and parsing of products.

NWS offices may change, at a date and time of their choosing between now
and the effective date of February 12, 2003, product formats to conform
to the specifications in NWSI 10-1701.  NWSH will issue a national
Service Change Notice informing NWS partners and customers that NWS
offices may change text product formats to conform to consistent format
specifications during that time period and highlight some changes that
may be significant to them.  Herb White, Dissemination Services Manager,
and I are unaware of adverse customer impact of moving toward the
consistent format specifications as time permits.  If any customers
believe they will be negatively impacted by this sliding implementation
timeline, please contact Herb or myself.

3)  NWSI 10-1703, VTEC, will be going through additional review and
comment between now and the end of the calendar year.  It will not be
available online until it is finalized and signed.

4)  Other NWSI 10-17xx dissemination directives written by the
responsible dissemination systems offices will be issued in the coming
weeks.

We thank all NWS partners, NWS field offices, regional and WSH offices
for reviewing the NWSPD and NWSI drafts and providing valued comments
earlier this year.

If you have any questions or comments, please email or call Herb White
or myself.  We can be reached at (301)-713-0090;  Herb's extension is
146 and mine is 142.  My e-mail is address@hidden;  Herb's is
address@hidden.

Thanks.

Chris Alex  and Herb White
NWS Headquarters, Dissemination Services, W/OS51