Re: NLDN Feed request

Hi Jeff and skywarn,

     I'm sorry, our agreement with the data providor only
allows us to distribute the data to Unidata affiliated Universities
for educational and research purposes.
     I'm afraid you'll have to contact global atmospherics
(now part of vaisala) http://www.lightningstorm.com/,
but they will probably want to sell you the data.
     Sorry we can't help.
Regards,
David
> Hi David,
>
> We have a request for lightning data from the Skywarn Massachussets folks.
>
> They are non-profit and provide a valuable service to their community.
>
> I have explained that this data is propriatary and cannot be propogated or
> used in any other way than education or research.
>
> Please consider this request for an NLDN feed.
>
> machine info:
>
> wsr88d.skywarn.cx  is the primary ip
> wsr88da.skywarn.cx is the secondary ip
>

> contact info:
>
> E-mail:address@hidden
> Phone: 413-739-1680
> Address: 398 Elm ST. #2
> West Springfield, MA. 01089
>

> Thank you for your consideration and please cc me on future correspondence
> so I can maintain accurate records here at the UPC.
>

> Cheers,
>
> -Jeff
> ____________________________                  _____________________
> Jeff Weber                                    address@hidden
> Unidata Support                               PH:303-497-8676
> COMET Case Study Library                      FX:303-497-8690
> University Corp for Atmospheric Research      3300 Mitchell Ln
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/jweber      Boulder,Co 80307-3000

Hi Dave, we are unidata affiliated (associate member), and we provide a
rather extensive program here. We educate schools and communities and also
intern students from various universities, especially during the summer when
severe weather is active. We just assisted in getting two local communities
in being the first Southern New England communities (2nd NE town, 1st NE city)
to be get the NWS "Storm Ready" certification. I am personally assisting one
more to be the third. We trained over 600 people, consisting of Ham Radio
Operators, Police and Fire personell, and dispatchers, and others to be
"skywarn" trained in Western Mass. alone in 2002. This will additionally
contribute to the warnings issued to the public in 2003.

We also do research on storm movement and radar signature VS actual damage, as
well as research on RF propogation at radar frequencies, and its effects
on weather radar. We wrote all the software in use here to do so.Im not sure
if your agreement specifically names universities VS educational use, but
we certainly qualify for educational use.

We provided a great deal of evidence to Jeff to substantiate our position
in that field.

Not only is all of this non profit, but we provided the storm data that
confirmed over 80 percent of the NWS Taunton's Severe Thunderstorm and
Tornado Warnings in summer 2002. None of our personell is employed in a
manner to make profit from our data. Our policies also strictly forbid that.
The storm data is used mainly by a handful of coordinator personell, and is
not open to any general spotter.

Thanks for any consideration possible.

Ray

Hi Ray,
    I would like to be able to help you out, but, our agreement
specifically states Universities. We sponsored a k-12 associate
member for awhile - we could send them conventional FOS type
data, but, could not send them the NLDN data either.
This is  a rather unique arrangement in that a comercial company
is allowing us to redistrubute the data they collect (their product)
freely to Universities, and I can not risk comprimising it
(especially since the company has just been sold).
I hate having to say no. I hope you understand.
David

>From address@hidden Sat Nov  2 21:01:44 2002
>To: <address@hidden>
>Cc: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>   <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: NLDN Feed request

I understand totally Dave.

I wasn't sure how your agreement was worded.
I wouldn't expect you to violate it.

Is is possible for us to approach them and see if they will agree to something??

Thanks for taking the time to fill us in.

Ray