20021219: apparent cron-initiated jobs from halo to adde.ucar.edu

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Kwan-yin,

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that there was what looked like a
cron-initiated job on halo that is displaying satellite imagery and
overlaying it with surface data using the ADDE server on
adde.ucar.edu.  Use of this server is not a problem, but the frequency
at which the job was being run yesterday made me think that something
might be amiss on halo.  The jobs were being run something like every
30 seconds.

Were you or someone else at CCNY, in fact, setting up a cron job to
display GOES-East IR imagery and overlaying it with surface hourly
and ship/buoy data yesterday?  If not, was the flurry of activity
simply a reflection of someone running the display from a McIDAS
session?

In either case, was the intention to get the data off of the ADDE
server at adde.ucar.edu, or did someone setup a DATALOC to point
at it and then forget where the data was coming from?  This is
something that is very easy to do in McIDAS, so it would not be
unexpected to see it happen at CCNY.

Just curious, and wanted to make sure that something had not run
amuck on your machine.

Tom Yoksas