Re: 20030307: NEXRAD Level II data format

Tom,

There are two answers, depending on whether you are looking at Level II data
recorded on tape or transmitted electronically.

1.  For tape the ROC web page (
http://www.roc.noaa.gov/ssb/cm/icd_downloads.asp) has information on
how to obtain the Interface Control Document (ICD):

ICD:   2620010
BUILD:   10.0
Build 10.0: This document defines the NEXRAD Archive II Interface. It
describes Archive II hardware and software interfaces and provides user
information on the format of some of the data stored on tape. This
archival storage system can interface with either the RDA Status and
Control (RDASC) Processor (CI-05) for read/write operations under
CPCI-01 and CPCI-03 program control, or the read operations under
CPCI-24 program control.

2.  For electronically transmitted data:
The ROC web page ( http://www.roc.noaa.gov/ssb/cm/icd_downloads.asp)
has information on how to obtain the Interface Control Document (ICD):
ICD:   2620008A OPEN BUILD:   1.0 Open Build 1.0: This document defines
the interface providing base data from an RDA (Radar Data Acquisition)
or RPG (Radar Produce Generation group) Computer to a User site.

For tape-recorded Level II data, at the start of each volume scan a
header record is appended that provides metadata that contains site
info and site performance information.  That being said, the data
transmitted in real time does not have the metadata.  Until the spring
of 2004, that will be the case for all electronically transmitted
data.  In spring 2004 the metadata will be added to the Level II data
stream.

Have I confused you now?  If so, call me at 405-366-6510 ext 1231.

Tim

Unidata Support wrote:

> >From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> Can you point us in the direction of comprehensive information on the
> format of the NEXRAD Level II data?  Also, do you know if pertinent
> station information in the data itself (e.g., station ID, lat, lon,
> elevation, etc.)?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Tom Yoksas
> **************************************************************************** <
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
> (303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
> Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <
begin:vcard
n:Crum;Tim