20030708: Lightning and explosive (cont.)

>From: "Wall, Marion" <address@hidden>

Marion,

re: you possible affiliation with the NAVY?

>We are in Camden county Georgia. That is where Kings bay sub base is. We
>(Camden County Search and Rescue) have had some association with the base.
>We are part of the Sheriff's Office. The interesting thing is that the
>fireworks display last week benefited Navy and civillian personnel. So could
>that be considered a benefit of the navy to make sure the barge is clear of
>personnel?

It is not up to us to decide who qualifies to get a decryption key for
the NOAAPORT-delivered lightning data.  That decision would be up to
somebody in the National Weather Service which is part of NOAA, and it
would most likely be based on the contract that the NWS has with
Vaisala.

Perhaps you should contact Vaisala, Inc. directly and explain who you
are and what you would like to do with their lightning data.  It is
possible that they would make the data available to you free-of-charge
and in real time.  That is their decision, of course, and I have no
idea of how they would react to your request.

Did you look at the lightning display on the Vaisala web page I sent
you?  Would it not be sufficient for your needs?  I would thoroughly
investigate what Vaisala offers through their web pages before I
contacted them.  It will at least demonstrate to them that you have
done your homework.

Again, best of luck!

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Tue Jul  8 10:00:31 2003

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the US map display would be adequate.
Time is 30 minutes behind and data for a dpecific lat/lon would provide the
best protedtion. Marion