Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 8:09 PM +0000
From: David Knight <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: Lightning data (fwd) (fwd)

Hi Linda,
  As you know, UAlbany has an agreement that lets us distribute
NLDN data in real time to Universites for research or educational
purposes. The data is not to be redistributed in any form.
But, and this is an important but, it sounds to me as though
the data being used for the case studies comes from the
NOAAPORT/AWIPS feed (not the Unidata NLDN feed). Therefore
it is probably governed by whatever agreement NWS has.
In the past, I think you are right, there was a condition
that the NLDN data not be released until it was a certain
age (30 days sounds about right).
  My thinking is that the lightning data should be included in
case studies. Certainly it is an educational
use of the data. The data is old. Since the data did not originate from
UAlbany it should have no impact on our agreements. I'm not sure
what agreements the NWS has. But my thinking is that since
the Universities can have access to this data in real time
for educational purposes if they want, I don't see why
they cannot have access to the data in educational modules
(although I think our agreement prevents us from making retrospective
data available - which always puzzled me). It seems to me
that including lightning data in the case studies provided
to Universities is certainly in the spirit of our agreement.
But sometimes the sprit is not good enough...
   I'm not sure if this helped you, or, further muddied
the water.
   If you are asking will having COMET include lightning
data in the educational case studies sent to Universities
effect our agreement. The answer is no it will not since
the data did not come from us, it came from NOAAPORT/AWIPS.
   If you are asking does the UAlbany agreement allow
the NWS to redistribute their data to Universities.
Again, the answer is probably no. What they do with the data
is up to them, and their agreements.
Regards,
David

Hi Dave,

Check the email below.  Is it OK to use the lightning data at
universities  in case studies?  It's been so long since we've had to
answer this  question, I end up forgetting.  I think there was a 30-day
delay or some  such thing, in the past.

<http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/data/lightning.html>

Hope all is well with you!

Thanks,