Re: netCDF for station data

Hi Tim,

> At the last(?) DMWG meeting, Steve Aulenbach asked me what I wanted from
> the CDP and I got around to expressing my desire for a database for
> "observations" for our data assimilation efforts.
>
> You and someone else indicated you had sorted out a good way to represent
> station data (in a netCDF file?) for inclusion in the CDP.
>
> I'd like to learn more about it, at your convenience.

We have a freely-available package of decoders that create netCDF
files for station data from the National Weather Service textual
bulletins and reports sent out on NOAAPORT.  A description and access
to these netCDF datasets are available here:

  http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds336.0/

NOAA's FSL also converts mesoscale observations to netCDF form, but
they use different conventions than the above.  You can get
descriptions of the MADIS data and instructions for how to access it
here:

  http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/MADIS/madis_datasets.html

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ