Re: 20041130: CONDUIT model name changes effect on end user 12Z GFS/ETA processing

All,

Let me chime in on a couple of these issues.  First the change today in the CONDUIT feed.  I have been engaged in some email discussions with Steve Chiswell about several CONDUIT issues, the pending name change just being one of these.  From these mailings, I was under the impression that we (NCEP) could safely change the names of the files being input into the CONDUIT processing without impacting the end user.  We made this change today, and quickly found that this was not transparent to CONDUIT users.  After consultation with UNIDATA, NCEP reverted back to the original configuration for CONDUIT by the 18 UTC model cycle.  UNIDATA has asked that we attempt this change again at 12 UTC this Thursday (12/2).

Second, the name changes.  We have been producing symbolic links to GFS and NAM named data sets on both the NCEP and NWS ftp servers ever since notification of the renamings was disseminated.  I encourage all users of these servers to modify their scripts ASAP to point to these new names/directories.  On January 18, 2005 starting with the 12 UTC cycle (and barring critical weather), NCEP will no longer produce data sets with the AVN or Eta names.

Finally, NCEP has also coordinated with UNIDATA to begin dissemination of the GFS 0.5 degree global grids in GRIB2 format.  NCEP will add these data to CONDUIT starting with the 12 UTC cycle next Tuesday (12/7).

Thanks for your patience today.

Brent Gordon
NCEP Central Operations

Jared P Bostic wrote:
Pete and others,

It was my understanding that the Jan. 18, 2005 change was at least for
the ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov site.  I see now that, for example the ETA 12km
tiles appear to be in directories/files with the NAM moniker, as well.
My question then is:  is it safe to go ahead and switch ftp scripts
to use the NAM nomenclature, rather than waiting for Jan. 18 ?

Jared Bostic
Univ of Oklahoma

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Pete Pokrandt wrote:

In a previous message to me, you wrote:

 >>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>
 >
 >Users of the Unidata IDD CONDUIT feed:
 >
 >This morning, a previously announced change in model names was instituted
 >by NCEP:
 >
 >AVN -> GFS
 >ETA -> NAM

All,

First of all, thanks so much for clearing up this morning's confusion,
and for the clear instructions on how to fix it.  Much appreciated!

Second, while this change was advertised and anticipated, all of
the info I can find suggests that Tuesday, 18 January 2005 was the
big switchover day, where the old names would no longer work.

Did I miss something?

The last email I can find about the name change was 11/10/2004 on the
nws.changes group, referencing this page:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/changes/model_rename.html

Not to complain, just that today's change did come as a total
surprise to me.

Thanks again to all involved for the quick fix and the extra two days
to get it all updated!

Pete

--
^ Pete Pokrandt                    V 1447  AOSS Bldg  1225 W Dayton St^