20050615: GRIB2 and JPEG2000

>From: Scott Lindstrom <address@hidden>

Hi Scott,

>I downloaded a GRIB2 file from NCEP and the grid part
>of the data was also JPEG2000 encoded.  I'm curious if you
>know whether that will be a standard for the future.

Yes, the Weather Services is heading towards use of GRIB2.

>I think
>I could view the data in the IDV, so that's why I'm almost
>sure you decode it properly. (Or was I using Tkdegrib
>from ncep).

The IDV can access GRIB2 because of work done in netCDF 2.2
and the Common Data Model.

>Also, does UNIDATA have any JPEG2000 routines to
>unencode the compressed data -- or are you just using JasPer?

GEMPAK is fully equipped to handle GRIB2.  I believe that
the code used in GEMPAK originated at the NWS.

I quick Google (tm) search using 'grib2 jpeg2000 noaa' had
the following link that appears useful:

http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/~fxa/requirements/awips-OB4/2584-GRIB2/

since there is a link to GRIB2 encoder/decoder software:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2/

Will you be modifying XCD to support GRIB2 model data now that
Todd is leaving?