20050818: RASS Data request for UseComm

>From:  "Mark J. Laufersweiler" <address@hidden>

Hi Mark,

re:
>The faculty for whom I am making the request here like the realtime
>delivery and make use the data in the native netcdf formats. The
>faculty are signal processing folk (Drs. Palmer and Chilson) and so
>I am not fully up to speed on how they use the data. I can check
>about their group scripting a ftp harvest of the data.
>
>But it seems to me that since the winds were already going out over
>the IDD, could not the RASS be sent out as well since the data would
>still be of one data feed type (FSL2)? It would make for a more
>complete data feed since most of the profilers have RASS associated
>with sites.

Hourly summary and 6-minute RASS data are now available in the FSL2
datastream from idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Here are example product headers that will help you setup the
appropriate ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf FSL2 request and ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
processing lines:

Hourly summary:
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.01hr.20052310100

6-minute:
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.06min.20052310106
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.06min.20052310112
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.06min.20052310112
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.06min.20052310118
FSL.NetCDF.NOAAnet.RASS.06min.20052310124

The pattern matches that for the regular wind profiler data with the
exception of 'RASS' instead of 'windprofiler' in the product metadata.

>Not knowing how data is injected into the IDD, I am not sure how
>easy/hard this would be. Nor do I know what the impact on the
>IDD/LDM would be by adding to the product queue a number of small
>(~8 KB ) files. as such, I may be off base by expecting this to be a
>trival matter.

Support for the RASS data will be added to GEMPAK and McIDAS (through an
ldm-mcidas decoder) in September.

Sorry this took so long to get going!

>From address@hidden  Fri Aug 19 18:49:05 2005

Thanks Tom. I will pass the word on to the faculty.

mjl