20051017: Arctic Composites... (cont.)

>From: Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Hi Matthew,

>Hello!  You asked last week about Arctic composites, and what we
>would be doing about this.  We have talked among the group, and our
>plan is this:  We will submit a proposal to NSF-OPP Arctic Science
>this December to do Arctic composites.  In doing this, we need to
>have a letter for support from you.  We are taking a tack that there
>is a community need for these, and we'd like to make them, and give
>them away freely to everyone interested... for both educational
>(Unidata) and science needs (we plan to get a letter of support from
>at least one IPY approve groups that has a need for these
>composites).

This sounds good!

>There is some risk in that we don't have a specific
>"science" question that our proposal is answering (making it hard for
>reviewers on us, based on past experience). But I am hoping that the
>"climate" has changed such there the community will reap a big
>benefit from having these composites, and we'll do it as affordably
>as we can.

While this may sound a bit weak, I suggest that the important science
objective is increasing awareness in the US university community about
the changes occurring in the Arctic.  A reasonably high resolution IR
image (and WV) coupled with observational and model data should help
researchers monitor the decreasing North Polar ice.

>Of course, getting them on the IDD will be an important
>part of the proposal (as well as via other means).

This will be simple.

>Please let me know if you can be of help with a letter of support on
>behalf of Unidata.   Let me know if you have any questions, comments
>or concerns.

I believe that I can write a letter on behalf of the Unidata community,
but I will run it by Mohan first and then Jim Steenburgh who is the
current chair of the Unidata Users Committee second.

>Thank you so much Tom!

Thank you for your quick networking!