[Datastream #AYJ-610338]: Level 2 radar delay intentional?

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> I was just told by a student that a NWS employee told him the 10 minute
> delay built into the Level 2 data was intentional. I thought it was
> otherwise.

There is no delay built into the Level II datastream.  The data is relayed
from the NEXRAD to the appropriate NWS Regional Headquarters and then
to the 4 toplevel relays as soon as it is available.  The Unidata community
gets its Level II feeds from these toplevel relays (which are located
at IRaDS (OU), Purdue, MAX GigaPop (co-located on UMd campus) and the ERC
(located in Ashville, NC)) in real-time.

If you are seeing what looks like a 10 minute delay for any NEXRAD site it
should mean that there is some unintentional slowness in the system.

Ticket ID: AYJ-610338
Department: Support Datastream