20060621: GOES-10 > GOES-11

>From:  Mike Voss <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

re:
>Was the change on the GOES-WEST product header from GOES-10 to GOES-11,
>which happened today at 16Z intentional. I must have missed that announcement.

Here is a snippit from a notice I received today from NOAA's Satellite
Service Division:

  Topic: GOES-11 Visible Channel Calibration Update
  Message Issued: June 21, 2006, 1915 UTC
  Satellites Impacted: GOES-11
  Products Impacted: GOES-11 Imager Visible Channel
  Date/Time of Initial Impact: June 21, 2006  16:00 UTC

  Details:

  The following information was received from OSO regarding the GOES-11
  Visible Channel Calibration:

  Dear GOES Visible Channel Users:

  GOES-11 replaced GOES-10 as GOES-WEST at 16:00 UTC on June 21."

The nws-changes list has had several notices about the impending change
from GOES-10 to GOES-11 over the past month or so.

>Just thought I would ask before I change my scripts, etc.

It is safe to convert your scripts since GOES-11 is now functionally
GOES-West even though scanned data is still being relayed through
GOES-10's transponders.  The final transition of GOES-11 to GOES-West
and shutoff of GOES-10 in preparation for drift to 60W is scheduled for
next Tuesday, June 28.

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*