[McIDAS #TUM-731007]: McIDAS - East and West ADDE Servers Stopped Providing Data

HI Fred,

re:
>The ADDE satellite servers East and West stopped providing data on Sunday,
> Oct. 1 at 17:45.  Could you look into restarting the data flow.

unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu rebooted yesterday (Sunday) for an unknow reason,
and restart of the GVAR ingest had not been automated.  I restarted the
GVAR ingest and figured that the processing would resume without problem,
but I was wrong. The shell I am used to working in (tcsh) did not have
all of the directories needed in its PATH, so one of the executables needed
to process the data was not being found.  The problem is that the script
that executes the needed routine redirects STDOUT to /dev/null, so I
was not seeing the errors that would have told me that something was
amiss.  I just noticed and fixed this problem a few minutes ago.

> Also I understand Unidata is working on developing direct readout
> ADDE servers for both Goes-West and Goes-East.

If our proposal is funded (likely), we will be installing SDI systems for
GOES-East, GOES-West, and GOES-South (our name for the reporposed GOES-10
that will scan South America operationally).

> What is the status,

We are waiting to hear the results of our funding proposal.  We currently
have a test SDI working for GOES-West.  If our funding is approved, we
will re-aiming the dish being used for the current GOES-West ingest to
point at GOES-10 (the large size of this dish is thought to be mandated
for ingest of GOES-10 at 60 W longitude).

> and what are the ADDE group names and addresses?

The current GOES-West machine vitals are:

group:  WEST
server: goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu

Please keep in mind that this setup is _very_ likely to be converted into
a GOES-South ingest/serving system.  If/when that happens, the vitals will
be:

group:  SOUTH
server: goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu

I mention this since McIDAS caches the IP address of ADDE servers, and
this will force you to run 'DATALOC HOST' once a new machine is setup
to server the WEST dataset.

I will inform you if/when the new ingest machines are up and running.
For now, fell free to access the WEST dataset from goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu.

I apologize for the length of time it took to get ADDE serving of
the EAST and WEST datasets back online today.

Ticket ID: TUM-731007
Department: Support McIDAS