[Datastream #HXS-697570]: Archived GOES imagery

Hi Marcial,

re:
> Happy new year!

Thank you... the same to you!  I hope you are well AND happy!!

> How are you? How is everyone there? Did you have fun on the Holidays?.
> I read that there were a lot of snow in Colorado this Christmas, how was it?

The holidays were a lot of fun mainly because of all the snow we got.  Including
the snow we got yesterday, I figure that we have received 243 cm of snow so
far this winter season!  Shoveling the snow so that we could get out of our
driveway was a lot of work (7 hours for the first big storm; 5.5. hours for
the second big storm; 3 hours for the third big storm; 2.5 hours for the drifts
that were piled up after a very high wind event (> 90kts); and about 2 hours
yesterday afternoon).  The neighborhood is beautiful when it snows a lot!

> Now to data...
>
> As you know the antenna failed last year and because I was out of Costa Rica I
> couldn't fix it as soon as I would like to.

I didn't realize that you were out of Costa Rica.  Were you anyplace
interesting?

> Tomorrow I will go to IC and check if the connector on the roof.

Very good.  I imagine that there is some oxidation on the connectors on the
roof.

> Have you tried to run mcidas on Fedora 6 using AIGLX?

I upgraded my home Linux system to Fedora Core 6 some time ago.  The only thing
I had to do to get things to work was install g77 from an RPM.  I tried building
McIDAS using gfortran -- this required a number of code modifications --, but
I found that the code compiled with it had serious problems especially in
Fortran formatted writes.  Because of the problems I ran into, I loaded g77
and have not had any problems since.

> Do you remember that I asked you for a direction where I could download
> satellite images, and that the free available where the ones from the last
> year?

Yes, I remember.

> I checked again one of this days because one student from Venezuela needs
> some images but from a while ago, what can I do to get them? These are the
> dates:
>
> Hurricane JOAN (13-18 OCT1988)
> Tropical Storm FRAN (14 AUG1990)
> Tropical Storm BRET (07-09 AUG1993)
> Hurricane CESAR (24-26 JUL1996)
> Hurricane LENNY (16-20 NOV1999)
> Hurricane JOYCE (30 SEP-02 OCT2000)
> Tropical Storm CHANTAL (16-18 AUG2001)
> Hurricane ISIDORE (14-18 SEP2002)
> Hurricane IVAN (06-11 SEP2004)
> Hurricane DENNIS (04-07 JUL2005)
> Hurricane EMILY (13-17 JUL2005)
>
> The coordinates are 10N-17N; 73 09 W- 59 45W

For the time period after 1990, the student should be able to get the
images that were sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin IDD feed (MCIDAS or more
recently known as UNIWISC).  The procedure for how to get the data
if it is still on disk and how to request data that has been backed-up
to tape can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

Aside:  I noticed that this link does not appear in the Archived Data section
of the Unidata Data page.  I will get this changed...

For the other images, you and/or the student should subscribe to the 'needdata'
email list that we maintain and ask the Unidata community if anyone has the
data you are looking for.

You can (un)subscribe to any Unidata-maintained email list online at:

Please wait until you have received notification of being added to the list
before your post, otherwise it will bounce.

The other possibility is to search the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
web pages to see if they have the data you need:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov

> Thank you for your help and time.

No worries.  It was good to hear from you!

By the way, did you get my email about the AGU spring meeting in Acapulco?
I am hoping that you will be able to attend somehow (Unidata doesn't have
any travel funds, but the AGU might).  I just got an email from Vilma letting
me know that she does not want to go to the AGU meeting because of a number
of other things that she wants/needs to get done.  So, you would be the next
logical person from UCR to attend.  Please think about it!

Ticket ID: HXS-697570
Department: Support Datastream