[Datastream #VQT-118561]: best way to get past sat imagery

Hi Jeff,

Notice that I am answering from my eSupport alter ego :-)

re:
> Should I contact Dee Wade, or is there another way to get access to
> archived sat imagery.
>
> I am looking for:
>
> IR imagery (8 km) hourly from June 1 -> Dec 31 2005...if that is TOO much
> we could pare it down to synoptic times 0,6,12, & 18Z.

If the sectors that were sent out in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream are
sufficient (they should be since they are full resolution for IR images),
then you should follow the procedure laid out in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

  Aside:
  While we are talking about access to the Unidata-Wisconsin archive...  I
  learned a couple of days ago that this resource is _not_ listed under the
  Archived Data section of our website's Data page.  I am not sure if I should
  be talking to you about this or Jen.  I will talk to you about this more when
  I get into work.

Back to your request...

Since the 2005 data is no longer on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu's RAID, you
will need to send a request to have the data you want taken off of
tape and put back on disk.  I am not sure how SSEC actually does the
restore, but it is possible that they will restore all of the data for
all of the days you are interested in.  If that data volume is greater
than what unidata2 can hold, the restores will need to be staged.

> Second question, is there space on adde.ucar.edu to host this data?

I think so, but I can not guarantee it.  FYI, I am in the process of
extending McIDAS so that it can read the PNG-compressed images that
are sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.  As soon as I get this
done (hopefully by the end of the day today), the disk space that is
needed for the data will drop by 50%.

> This is for the STORM Funds case study project.

Sounds good.

Ticket ID: VQT-118561
Department: Support Datastream