[Support #RHJ-663769]: Unidata: Source for bulletins.

Hi Peter,

First, let me apologize for letting your inquiry slip through the cracks!

re:
> I hope you are well.  We exchanged a few emails last year about unidata
> distribution over Abilene.   Our latest adventure is to figure out what
> happens if Wallops Island goes offline.  Apparently, USGS is running a
> downlink for GOES DCP data in Sioux Falls.   We know we can get
> bulletins from a whole bunch of sources (NOAAPORT & Unidata among them.)

re:
> What we do not know is whether, if Wallops goes offline, you folks will
> receive any bulletins.

Good question.  Please read on...

re:
> so the question is:  where does Unidata get it's data from?

The primary source of data relayed in our Internet Data Distribution (IDD)
system is the NWS' NOAAPort broadcast.  We operate redundant NOAAPort
reception sites scattered across the country so that outages at one or
sites (e.g., the twice-yearly solar interference outages, etc.) do not
affect the receipt of data.

Since the NOAAPort broadcast is not located at Wallops, an outage there
should not affect the content of the IDD _unless_ the NWS does not have
a redundant way of getting the DCP data off of GOES (I believe that it
does via a downlink in Alaska).

> Alfred is an analyst who works for me, and will be able to followup with
> you.

Very good.

Again, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you...

Ticket ID: RHJ-663769
Department: Support