Subject:        (Temporary) Loss of NOAA Wind Profiler data
Date:   Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:05:31 -0600
From:   Doug van de Kamp <address@hidden>
To:     address@hidden, address@hidden

Greg and Linda,

I am in the process of making sure all of our users have been notified about our situation. As of 00Z 10/1/08, we have had to stop transmitting NPN data to the world. (Hopefully this situation will only be temporary, see below.) Basically, our 20 year old Vax computers and Linux systems are old and can't pass the current NOAA security requirements (Certification and Accreditation; C&A). Months ago, we thought we were going to be able to continue our NPN data processing and dissemination to the NWS Telecommunications Gateway, SPC, Unidata, and the world via the GTS, until the new replacement 449 MHz profilers could be installed in a couple of years (and the control and monitoring functions would then move to the Radar Operations Center (ROC), in Norman, OK). Just in the past couple of weeks we had been told that this was not acceptable. Since we can't pass security requirements, we therefore can't be connected to the NWS network in any possible way. We were told to 'cut our wires' on Oct.1. So all NPN data has stopped flowing at this time, including all internet access and posting of our data there. This obviously includes NWSTG, NCEP, NOAAPORT, LDM, GTS, and *any* place our 6- and/or 60-minute profiler data were going, so you will see absolutely nothing from us (temporarily, hopefully). We have to be totally isolated from the NOAA NWS network, or *any* network. We are working on a backup plan within NOAA (with the MADIS group) at this time, that hopefully will allow hourly NPN data to be available to the world again via the NWSTG (utilizing our backup hourly GOES communications from each site). (And frankly, I'm not sure if the MADIS group will be able to support getting NPN data to you in the future. Greg, I understand you were automatically downloading NPN data hourly via our web page. This will not work in the future. You may have to independently get the data directly from one of the NOAA feeds in the future, like NOAAPORT. And Linda, I can't remember how Unidata was getting our NPN data. Hopefully from NOAAPORT already, so this won't impact Unidata greatly, other than the current missing data.) Getting our NPN data to the NWSTG will likely take 30-90 days to implement (and will not include any 6-min profiler data products). In the interim time, we will continue to operate and maintain the NPN sites. Our communications with the NPN radar sites is not impacted, since they are dedicated lines internal to our group. The official announcement that was placed on the NWS TOC Status page (http://weather.noaa.gov/tgstatus/) last Friday is copied in below.

Doug van de Kamp
NOAA/NWS OPS12
Profiler Control Center

Last Update: Fri Sep 26 15:00:01 2008 GMT
NWS TOC Operational Status Message
Fri Sep 26 12:15:48 2008 GMT

NOXX01 KWBC 261203
SUBJECT   WIND PROFILER DATA PRODUCTS TEMPORARILY DISCONTINUED
EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 01 2008 ALL WIND PROFILER PRODUCTS WILL BE
DISCONTINUED FOR UP TO 90 DAYS. THESE PRODUCTS INCLUDE IUPT01
THRU 04 KBOUD IUPT 41 THRU 43 KBOU ISAT40 KBOUD AND IUAK01
PANC.
WIND PROFILER DATA PROCESSING EQUIPMENT ADJUSTMENTS ARE BEING
IMPLEMENTED IN PREPARATION FOR THE REPLACEMENT WIND PROFILER
SYSTEMS IN THE SEPTEMBER 2009 FRAME.
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT TECH CONTROL AT 301 713 0902
SENT BY SUSAN MURPHY  NWSTG PROGRAM MANAGER NOAA NWS 301 713
0864 EXT 174. EMAIL SUSAN.MURPH AT NOAA.GOV
KWBC TECH CONTROL 26 SEPT 08 AT 1210Z  301 713 0902

--
Linda Miller - address@hidden
Community Services, Unidata