[Datastream #NVC-687129]: Upper-air TTBB ascii data files

> Dear Sir or Madam
>
> For a study on temperatures in the lower atmosphere I'm using the IGRA
> data from several sounding stations world-wide. In this analysis the
> temperature data have to be corrected for the time lag of the
> temperature sensors. This requires to know the type of sonde used at a
> station at a certain time. There are a few metadata providing this
> sort of information. Unfortunately all of them which I was able to
> find are far from being complete and in particular not up-to-date. I
> therefore aim now at retrieving this information directly from the
> TTBB ascii-files.
>
> May I ask you where and how I can obtain from an archive the TTBB
> ascii-files from the sounding stations of interest? Is there a
> possibility to download them directly via the Internet?
>
> Thank you for your attention.
>
> Awaiting your reply, I remain
>
> Yours sincerely
> Marcel E. Tschudin

Hello Marcel,

We deliver real time data and are not an archive center. I would visit
the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) and see what they have.

Here is URL defining format:

http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/raob_format.html

..and this would be a good starting point at NCDC:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/upperair.html

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff Weber