[Datastream #RHY-237530]: Satellite data available through Unidata?

Hi David,

re:
> Thanks for the reply.  Looks like we have some options.  We are also
> talking with Wisconsin and NRL-Monterey, both of whom we work with on
> some of this stuff.

I would imagine that getting the data through UW/SSEC would cost money
(that is how they fund their Data Center).  I am not familiar with
what hurdles there could be (if any) working with NRL-Monterey.

> The GOES-10 antenna you mention.  Is that the one back by the cafeteria
> between FL2 & FL1?

Yup, the one with the black bra on it (to sluff off snow).

> If so, I was wondering what it was being used for.
> We (RAL) purchased it some years back and were using it to access
> real-time NLDN lightning data, but eventually went to a direct internet
> feed from Vaisala and "released" the antenna.

We snarfed the dish when it was being excessed by you (RAL).  We built
a custom mount that allows us to track inclined orbit, geostationary
satelliles using a single axis actuator.  We had new cabling pulled
from the dish to the FL-2 2nd floor RAL computer room, and worked
with RAL system administrators to have all of the satellite ingest
equipment relocated into a single rackmount.  If you are interested
in the evolution of the dish during this effort, check out:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/storm/FL_Satellite_Dishes/

> As soon as we figure out what we are doing I'll let you know -- either
> to start talking about using the data, or at least letting you know how
> all this turns out.

Very good.  RAL can get access to the NOAA-operated ADDE server that has
the Meteosat realtime data (if it doesn't have it already).  After seeing
some comparisons of the 10.7 um IR images from GOES-10 and Meteosat 9
(Meteosat has higher resolution (3 km vs 4 km for GOES) AND showed measurably
colder cloud tops in the area of the Air France crash), I would say that
it would be _very_ useful to include both satellites in whatever investigation
was undertaken.

Also, in case you didn't know, GOES-10 is scheduled to be de-orbited at the
beginning of this coming December.  NOAA has not (yet) made a decision about
re-purposing either GOES-12 (GOES-East) or GOES-11 (GOES-West) for South
American surveillance. The thinking among some is that a successful launch
(this month) and checkout of GOES-O this month will ease the process of
re-purposing either East/West.

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: RHY-237530