[Datastream #AKV-718271]: McIDAS AREA Files not updating

Hi Jim,

re:
> The last McIDAS AREA file that we have received via IDD or that I can
> access via ADDE from a number of sites is from ~23Z on 5 July. Did I
> miss an outage announcement?

No, you did not miss an outage announcement.  The machine on which the
Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) crashed.  We (Mike
Schmidt) have been working with SSEC (the machine is housed in the
SSEC Data Center machine room) to bring the system back up.  Since it
looked like the system would be returned to service early this morning,
the decision was made to not send a note out to address@hidden.
However, the machine was apparently rebooted in the middle of a reboot,
and that caused the need to rerun fsck on the file system on the RAID
that holds the LDM queue and Unidata-Wisconsin online archive.

If the machine does not successfully come up after the current fsck
finishes, I will send a note out to the community via the ldm-users
email list.

Comments on the problems on the machine in question:

- we will be upgrading that machine to a motherlode-class box in
  the not too distant future

- I will be working to establish a redundant Unidata-Wisconsin creation
  capability here in the UPC

I apologize for the problems...

Ticket ID: AKV-718271
Department: Support Datastream