[Datastream #PDW-419027]: About satellite data

> Hi,

Hello Leosa,

> I'm a graduate student in NTU, studing the relationship between birds and
> environment factors, and I want use NCAR's data as my research resource,
> But I don't know how to get the data I want...  (Could I use the NCAR's
> data?)

If we have what you want you are welcome to have it. :)

> The data will be indicated as NCAR resource in writing.

Citations are a good thing.

> All these data I need as following:
> 1. Precipitation
> 2. Actual evapotranspiration(AET)
> 3. Temperature

Modelled or measured?

> and these data attribute:
> 1. global or east hemisphere(E70~E180 and N90~S90).
> 2. resolution: 1*1 degree, 0.5*0.5 degree or 5*5 degree.

the .5 degree global GFS model may work for you, I am not sure if that model
has AET.

> 3. file type: shape files, GeoTIFF files, grid files HDF files.(or others
> GIS could read)

GIS can read netCDF, we can provide the GFS in netCDF.

To access this data visit:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog.html

navigate to:

NCEP model data.

Then:

NCEP-GFS-Global_0p5deg/

Then depending upon how you want to view the data select one of the following:

 Forecast Model Run/            --
 Folder  Constant Forecast Offset/              --
 Folder  Constant Forecast Date/

...then find the date you desire, select that file and you will see access to
the data via opendap (netCDF) and there are attempts at WMS and WCS
implementations :)

If you desire the raw grib2 data, that is under the file access tab.

> 4. Year: three years, 2006~2008, or other year data before(1998~2006).

I should have read this first (you can use our server for the real time stuff)
:) We supply real time and near real time (1-3 months) of data. To access
historical data please visit NCDC and for model access use their NOMADS server
at:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data.php

> 5. Time: monthly and yearly data.
>
> Thanks you very much.