[Datastream #CDL-291239]: Usage of unidata nexrad composite

Hi Mark,

Yes, the composite is "freely available"....

A few caveats:

1) We will not be keen to multiple ongoing hits to our motherlode server, its
intent is not to serve commercial interests but to allow for the .edu community
to back fill in case of network or hardware failure. We know folks from outside
the .edu use our data, and that is ok...but if we see "polling" taking place on
motherlode we deny the IP from further access.

2) we are NOT operational, we bring our servers up and down as needed. We
strive for the best performance and reliability, but we make no guarantees.

> We are looking to use a national nexrad composite for our consumer
> web/mobile product for weather and radar images and hoping to avoid building
> our own composite from level3 data.  I notice that the "rights" described
> below for the unidata nexrad 1km composite say "Freely available".  Does
> that include commercial re-use or do you have a page that describes the
> appropriate uses?  If not, do you know of any sources of a composite that
> are available for commercial re-use?
> Thank you

There are many commercial vendors of radar data, OU (IRADS), WSI, Barron
services, etc....that are in the business of providing reliable data feeds for
radar.

> Mark Hohmann
> Sokono, Inc.
> (415) 517-3920
>
> Catalog http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idd/radars.htmlDataset:
> Radar Data/NEXRAD National Composite/Unidata NEXRAD Composite-1km
>
> - *Data format: *GRIB-2
> - *Data type: *GRID
> - *Harvest: *true
> - *Naming Authority: *edu.ucar.unidata
> - *ID: *NWS/NEXRAD/NationalComposite/Unidata/1km
>
> Documentation:
>
> - *summary:* NEXRAD Radar National Composites of Level 3 Base
> Reflectivity. 1 km resolution. Generated by Unidata every 5-6 minutes.
> - *rights:* Freely available

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff Weber