[IDD #EID-206879]: multiple IP addresses for unidata2-new needed

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the quick reply!

re:
> Mike had asked for two addresses initially.   One is 128.104.109.52
> unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu,
> the other is 128.104.109.64 unidata2-console.ssec.wisc.edu

OK.  Mike explained to me that the unidata2-console IP is not usable for the
LDM.

re:
> There are currently 3 addresses on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.   One for
> unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu,
> the others for the raids,  t3-00.ssec.wisc.edu and t3-01.ssec.wisc.edu.

Actually, there are 4 IP addresses allocated for unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu:

2 IPs for the RAIDS (as you noted)

  128.104.110.131
  128.104.110.132

2 IPs for use by the LDM (one as 'ldm' and the other for 'gvarldm'):

  128.104.110.130
  128.104.110.24

re:
> We are running very low on IP address at SSEC; can either t3-00 or t3-01 be
> surrendered?

I talked to Mike about this... when unidata2 gets retired, the IP addresses
will, of
course, be freed-up.  Until then it would be a bad idea to surrender the IPs for
the RAIDS (sigh).

We are taking a different tactic:

- run the main LDM on port 388
- run the Antarctic LDM on port 389
- run the GVAR LDM on port 390

We found that this setup will not run "out of the box" because the 'ldmadmin'
startup
script runs 'ldmping' to verify that an LDM is (or isn't) running, and 'ldmping'
does not (yet) support the specification of the port to contact.  For the time
being
I changed the logic in 'ldmadmin' (under watchful eye of Steve) and verified
that
I can run the Antarctic and GVAR LDMs simultaneously.  Tomorrow I will be
working
to get the main LDM running.  Shortly after that, I will be working to get the
Unidata-Wisconsin product generation working, but in the 'mcidas' account, not
the 'ldm' account (like it is on unidata2).

If you recall, there is one piece of work/development that you (SSEC) will need
to do -- get the processing for the GVAR products working on this Solaris x86
machine like it has been working under Solaris SPARC on unidata2.  I can flush
out my perspective on what needs to be done if/when you would like.

Ticket ID: EID-206879
Department: Support IDD