[Datastream #SXW-220124]: request data

Hi Boris,

re:
> I'm Boris Commission and I am doing the Masters in atmospheric sciences
> at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. My thesis project is to
> analyze the mesoscale convective systems by satellite imagery for the
> region of Mexico. The analysis is to find some satellite and synoptic
> features such as brightness temperature, CAPE, pressure in the cloud
> top and more. The computer program being used is the McIDAS-V.

This sounds very interesting.

re:
> Therefore
> I request satellite imagery data format AREA for the period April to
> August 2004. I need data for the infrared channel. At the moment I would
> like to have a resolution data covering the Mexican republic.

This data should be available in an archive of GOES image sectors that
were provided to users in the Unidata-Wisconsin (UNIWISC) datastream of
the Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system.  The "rolling archive" of
these images does not go back to 2004 (it has about 9 months of the most
recent data only), but the images should be available in the larger tape
archive maintained by SSEC.  FYI: the images in the rolling archive
available through the McIDAS ADDE server on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.
The dataset Group name is UNIARC.

Instructions for requesting data from this archive can be found in:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data
    Archive Data Access
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/#archived
      UNIWISC IDD Datastream
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

The last page referenced above has the information you need.

NB:

- When you send an email requesting that the data you are looking for
  be restored from tape to disk, please let the folks at the SSEC Data
  Center know that you were advised to request the data by Unidata User
  Support (the archive is maintained for Unidata community members,
  and UNAM is not (yet) one of these sites).

- Also, you said that you are interested in data for the infrared channel.
  There are four infrared channels available in the archive:

  GOES-East
   3.9 um - shortwave infrared
   6.5 um - water vapor
  10.7 um - thermal infrared
  13.3 um - longwave infrared

  GOES-West
   3.9 um - shortwave infrared
   6.8 um - water vapor
  10.7 um - thermal infrared
  12.0 um - longwave infrared

  It is most likely that you want the 10.7 um thermal infrared data, but
  you may want others depending on what how you do your analyses.  Please
  be specific about which data you would like to access in your request
  to the SSEC Data Center folks.

- The tape to disk restoration procedure may be such that all data from
  one or more days is staged on disk for you to grab.  If this is the
  case, you will need to FTP the sectors that you are most interested
  in.

- It is highly likely that it will not be possible to restore all of the
  days of data you are interested in at once.  In this case, you will
  be given a certain amount of time to FTP the data that has been restored
  before it is overwritten by additional data.

- It is possible that the archive does may have holes in the data record
  (i.e., there may be some missing images)

- As you will see, the archive contains sectors from GOES-East and GOES-West.
  The GOES-East sectors will have the best coverage for Mexico, but the
  GOES-West sectors should be useful also.

re:
> I would also like to know how I can get GINI satellite data formats for
> the same period mentioned above. I would also like to know how I can get
> gini satellite data formats for the same period mentioned above

The archive mentioned above does not contain GINI format image sectors.
All the data in the archive is in McIDAS AREA format.  We (Unidata) do
not archive the GINI image sectors distributed in NOAAPort.  It is possible
that one or more Unidata community members has such an archive and would
be willing to provide access to it to you.  We maintain an email list
named address@hidden for these sorts of archive data requests.
Before you can post messages to the needdata list (or any other email list
that we maintain), you need to subscribe to the list.  You can do this
online at:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Support
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support
    Use our topical mailing lists to query experts in the Unidata community
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/#mailinglists

Click on the Subscribe tab in the last page, and sign-up for the needdata
list.  Please make sure to wait until you receive notification that you
have been successfully subscribed to the list before attempting to post
your request.

re:
> The research project is driven by
>
> Dr. Erenesto Caetano Neto (address@hidden)
> Dr. Victor Magaña Rueda (address@hidden)
>
> Centro de Ciencias de la Atmosfera
> Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México

Very good.  I suggest that you talk to your advisors about UNAM becoming
an active member of the Unidata community (its free!).  This would allow
you (UNAM) access to a wide variety of software applications and data.

Ticket ID: SXW-220124
Department: Support Datastream