[Support #JLK-672206]: GOES full disk imagery in NOAAPort or IDD

Hi Matt,

re:
> I'm wondering how to access full disk and southern hemisphere GOES data
> via ldm.

There is currently no LDM/IDD feed of GOES full disk data, and there is not
likely to be given the size of the images.  We do, however, operate GOES-East,
GOES-West, and GOES-South ingestors here in Boulder, and we make the imagery
from these platforms available in real-time via McIDAS ADDE.  Users that
have ADDE-enabled applications (e.g., McIDAS-X, IDV, McIDAS-V) can get
full disk views from any/all three of these platforms.  I can provide
details on accessing this imagery if you are interested.

Also, the East sectors in the IDD UNIWISC feed include southern
hemisphere coverage: I composite southern hemisphere scans from GOES-12 with
northern hemisphere scans from GOES-East (which is currently GOES-13).
The East sectors are all 4 km resolution and include all imager bands:

0.65 um visible
 3.9 um short IR
 6.5 um water vapor
10.7 um thermal IR
13.3 um long IR which is in a CO2 absorption band

The composites are created using as much of the GOES-East images
as possible and GOES-12 scans for areas where GOES-East is not
available.  The composites are created every half hour and sent
via the LDM/IDD in the UNIWISC datastream.

The following _old_ web page shows the South America coverage then
available from GOES-10 and examples of the north and south
coverage contained in UNIWISC east sectors:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/goes10/uniwisc.html

At the time that this page was created, GOES-South America was GOES-10,
and GOES-10 had a 12.0 um longwave IR channel so it was not possible
to create a composite of the longwave IR channels.  When GOES-12 was
re-purposed to South America surveillance, we added composites of
the 13.3 um longwave IR channels from GOES-East and GOES-12 to the
mix of east sectors.

re:
> thanks for your help, and my apologies as always if this is
> a not-so-smart question.

No worries.  Please let me know if you have additional questions about
what is available.

Ticket ID: JLK-672206
Department: Support Datastream