[Miscellaneous #AUS-476217]: viewing NEXRAD Dual Polarization products

Hi Joshua,

re:
> Any advice on how I can view the dual-pol products?

Unidata offers three visualization packages in which NEXRAD Level III
products (including Dual-Pol products) can be used:

GEMPAK
IDV
McIDAS

GEMPAK and IDV are freely available to all users.  Unidata's license to
distribute McIDAS is restricted to educational users (e.g., U.S. university
and community colleges).

You can find information on each of these packages in the Software pages
on our web site:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software

  GEMPAK
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/

  IDV
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

  McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/

Please review the information contained in the pages above to see
which of these packages you may want to use.

re:
> I still haven't gotten a message yet about gettin Dual-Pol from LWX.
> If you could pass it along again, I'd appreciate it.

Unidata university users can get real-time feeds of both NEXRAD Level
III products and Level II volume scan data (including dual-pol) from
the Internet Data Distribution system.  Private individuals, can
get the Level III products from a variety of sources:

- making a connection with a Unidata university that is participating
  in the IDD, and getting them to feed you real-time data using the
  LDM

- installing and operating a NOAAPort reception system

- downloading the data from a NOAA-operated FTP site

Users who want the Level II volume scan data need to:

- establish a relationship with Unidata university that is getting the Level
  II data via the IDD and get them to feed you (NB: this is a very high
  volume data feed)

- contract with one of the top level redistributors of the the Level II
  data (e.g., University of Purdue, ERC Broadband, or IRaDS)

- access the volume scan data from a NOAA-operated FTP server (e.g.,
  NCDC has the Level II data)

Question:

- are you associated with a university/educational institution?

- or, are you a private individual that is simply looking for a source
  of data?