[Datastream #QOL-164956]: NLDN data reader software

Hi Jeff,

re:
> I see from http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning.html#nldn that there
> is software available to read NLDN data.  I'm specifically working with
> binary NLDN data here at the University of Washington (example file
> attached).
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!

The software reference you note refers to decoders for two of the
analysis/display
packages that we support: GEMPAK and McIDAS.  These decoders are either bundled
with the application (e.g., GEMPAK contains the decoder dcnldn) or in a separate
package (e.g., the 'ldm-mcidas' package of decoders that is mostly used to
convert LDM/IDD-delivered data into a format that McIDAS can use).

The NLDN format is simple enough that it shouldn't be hard to create a
program to read the binary data in and output ASCII text.  The description of
the NLDN format can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/nldn.html

Ticket ID: QOL-164956
Department: Support Datastream