[Datastream #QOL-164956]: NLDN data reader software

Hi Jeff,

re:
> It would be helpful to see some code that reads this data, if that's
> possible.

You can grab the ldm-mcidas package source and take a look at the NLDN
input routine:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/ldm-mcidas
file:      ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz

When you unpack ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz, the source code will be located
in the src/decode directory.  The file to look at is nldninput.c.

re:
> What I'm seeing in the files we have doesn't seem to match the
> documentation exactly.  For example, the documentation says a length 4
> character of 'NLDN' marks the start of each record, but I'm seeing a much
> longer string of 'NLDN;GDS SUNY@ALBANY Tue Apr 10 00:01:51 2012
> striker2.atmos.albany.edu' to mark the start of each record.

Good catch. The web page left out information on the remainder of the
header (which our decoders simply discard).  I have updated the web
page to reflect the real structure.  Please take another look and
let me know if the explanations of the two additional fields make
sense:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/lightning/nldn.html

Sorry for the incomplete documentation!

Ticket ID: QOL-164956