[Datastream #OJO-979782]: lightning data archive

> Hello,

Hi Alison,

> We are reading through the Unidata page on lightning data (
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#lightning), but are having
> trouble identifying archived data resources.

The trouble is justified, we do not archive lightning data. :)

> Am I correct in thinking that your main product is real-time lightning data
> (which we are apparently getting!)?

Yes, we provide real time lightning data via USPLN and the NLDN..they have the
archive and can charge for access or
may allow access for research. They are in the business of selling data, but
often work nicely with researchers.

Please contact:

    Kim Rauenzahn
    Lightning Product Manager
    WSI
    address@hidden

..for historical access to the NAPLN and the GLN.

> Any ideas on whether Unidata provides access to any archived data? We are
> looking to do a climatology for the northern Sierra.

We maintain a short archive of non-proprietary data...but lightning is
proprietary, and our archive is only
30 days. If you do not have success via WSI, we can attempt NLDN.

> Thanks!
>
> Alison
>
> --
>
> Alison F.C. Bridger
> Professor & Chair
>
> Department of Meteorology and Climate Science
>
> San Jose State University      tel  408.924.5206
> One Washington Square          fax  408.924.5191
> San Jose, CA 95192-0104
>
> email:   address@hidden
>
> www.met.sjsu.edu
> www.met.sjsu.edu/~bridger <http://www.met.sjsu.edu/%7Ebridger>