[Datastream #JRE-767369]: Question about satellite imagery

Hi Marcial,

re:
> How are you?

I am well, thanks.  I hope you and your family are well and happy also!

red:
> I have being talking to Vilma about the idea to create a Linux system
> that could replace (to a certain extent) the old Ramsdis system that
> was used in Central America years ago.

This is a very good idea.  The system could incorporate a number of
elements that were missing from RAMSDIS.

re:
> It seems like one of the main concerns is where to get the satellite
> imagery. Where can I read about the access to the images?
I don't have a single URL for you for satellite imagery access, sorry.
I can tell you, however, that there are a number of resources that
are providing ADDE access to realtime satellite imagery for free.

Some of those resources are:

Unidata:

Satellite     Server                         ADDE Group
GOES-East     goeseast.unidata.ucar.edu      EAST
GOES-West     goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu      WEST
GOES-South    goessouth.unidata.ucar.edu     SOUTH

NOAA

Satellite     Server                         ADDE Group
various       satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov    PUB

I know that there CIRA has some ADDE servers that were open,
but I can't remember the machine name(s) or ADDE dataset
groups right now.

re:
> Is there any restrictions on those?

No, redistribution of imagery produced by the U.S. geostationary
satellites is not restricted.

re:
> Thanks for your time and help,

We can discuss things in more detail as you progress in your planning.
Please send the questions to the Unidata support inquiry tracking
system instead of to me personally.  As you may recall, this is done
by specifying the topic area as part of the To: email address.

For instance:

McIDAS questions             - address@hidden
IDD questions                - address@hidden
IDV questions                - address@hidden