[Datastream #EAZ-340335]: Radar Data Question

> Hello,

Hi Michael,

> My name is Michael Hollan. I am a graduate student at Texas Tech
> Univeristy, working towards a Master's Degree in Atmospheric Science. My
> research requires me to verify simulated radar reflectivity in the WRF
> model versus observed radar reflectivity.

Sounds interesting!

I was wondering if there was
> any way possible to obtain 1 km National Mosaic Radar Data in GRIB2
> format without going through the Local Data Manager - for instance,
> via an FTP link or through some archive - as I will only be needing
> radar data for two severe weather events.

Yes, we maintain a short (one month) "rolling" archive of this dataset.

It can be found at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/nexrad/composite/1km/files/N0R/catalog.html

gained from the top level:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog.html

..as you can see we only use the "base" reflectivity (N0R) for the mosaic.

All university folks are allowed access to this archive..no sign in required.

> I appreciate your time and look forward to your response.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Hollan
> Graduate Student - Atmospheric Sciences
> Teaching Assistant