[Datastream #CEG-896944]: lightning data from motherlode

Hi John,

re:
> Right, I realized it was restricted. I was kind of hoping/wondering
> if the THREDDS server might know that I was coming from a .ucar.edu
> ip address.

I don't believe that either of the lightning datasets (NLDN or USPLN)
is available through THREDDS regardless of who is trying to access it.

re:
> At any rate, I also figured that this was the most
> straightforward way request permission.

OK.

re:
> GEMPAK might be most suitable for me, but I am open for suggestions.
> I am really looking for timing and location information of strikes
> over the last week.

OK.  I can SCP the GEMPAK-decoded files to a directory on padilla
for you to use.  I suggest putting the files in:

/data/ldm/gempak/lightning/(nldn|uspln)

I just copied the GEMPAK files for part of Saturday and all of Sunday
to these directories.  I am afraid that we don't have GEMPAK files
that cover all of Saturday (we do have McIDAS-decoded files, however).

Ticket ID: CEG-896944
Department: Support Datastream