[Datastream #VYO-548778]: BUFR concerns

Hi Kevin,

First, I drove your email into our inquiry tracking system so that
others could respond if needed.

re:
> Good to see you at the MUG Meeting.

Likewise.  I am very interested in the XCD redesign work that you have
been involved in.  Is there any documentation (not formal, of course)
that I could peruse to get a better idea of what has been done so far?

re:
> I was wanting to address your concern about BUFR files with the new -XCD.
> Jay Heinzelman wrote down that you said something like "In 2 years
> everything might be BUFR for surface reports in the USA.  It's already
> that way for Eumetcast."

That is more or less what I was trying to get across.  As I understand
things, the surface observations in EUMETCAST are all in BUFR format
already.

re:
> Has there been any official word from anywhere about this? I am on various
> NWS mailing lists and haven't really heard much said about BUFR recently.

I think I heard a comment about the transition to BUFR in a talk at an
AMS meeting.  Unfortunately, I don't have a URL that I can provide that
will corroborate this; sorry.

re:
> Of course, I am probably on the wrong mailing list :-)

Me too!

re:
> From what it sounds like, this is a substantial change - something both
> old and new -XCD needs to address.

Yes indeed.  That is why I brought it up in the first place.

re:
> Thanks for any information you can pass along!

No worries.  I will try to find an authoritative source for the transition
to BUFR and pass it along.

Ticket ID: VYO-548778
Department: Support Datastream