[Datastream #FTE-966141]: question about reliability of national radar mosaics (FNEXRAD)

Hi Bob,

> Hello,
>
> We currently pay a vendor for CONUS composite radars and precipitation
> masks (rain/snow/mix), but have recently taken a look at FNEXRAD and it
> looks great.

Thanks!

> We are used to relying on Unidata software (you guys are great!) but
> not Unidata created data sets.
>
> Is the reliability of this FNEXRAD (DHR and HHC are the main ones we're
> interested) pretty good?  Are there redundant ways this can or does get
> made in case something goes down?  Do you recall outages or downtime
> during the last year or two on this data set?

WE ARE NOT OPERATIONAL, and although we have very high uptimes, we reserve the
right to stop any product at any time for research purposes
or hardware demands.

We strive to support the education and research community as reliably as
possible,  but things do happen and we do not have robust
backup if things go down.

Not sure of your use case, but if you want guarantees of delivery, we cannot do
that.

> Appreciate the insight!
>
> Bob
>
> Bob Weinzapfel