[Datastream #FTE-966141]: question about reliability of national radar mosaics (FNEXRAD)

Hi Bob,

re:
> Thanks for your explanation.  We are just trying to find an extremely
> reliable source
> and perhaps to have redundant ways to have high-quality radar composites if
> the primary
> source goes down.

We run VM instances in both the Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure west clouds
whose sole
purpose is to create the content for the IDD FNEXRAD and UNIWISC datastreams.
If
one instance becomes unaccessible to our top level IDD relay cluster here in
Boulder
(idd.unidata.ucar.edu), we can switch to feed off of the other.  Of course, if
networking goes down, we will not be able to get or relay the data from either
of
those instances.

re:
> Would you happen to be able to share the scripts that you use to make the
> FNEXRAD radar
> composites (mainly interested in DHR and HHC)?

The scripts/procedures should be part of recent Unidata GEMPAK distributions.
You
can send support inquiries to address@hidden if you have questions
about those procedures.

re:
> You are using gempak and level 3 radar data to make your radar composites,
> correct?

Correct.

re:
> That would in theory let us make our own
> in a backup situation (perhaps just using data we get off our noaaport dish).

Correct.

re:
> I have
> also asked ldm-users if anyone is willing to give us a second fnexrad source
> (tamu was
> willing to feed us).

We saw your request.

re:
> I read here
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/updates_to_unidata_idd_fnexrad
> that you are using the Amazon EC2 cloud which should be pretty reliable
> though I
> remember a problem or two that some they had in some parts of their cloud in
> the last
> couple years.

Increasing the reliability of our product generation was one (but not the only)
reason
that we spun up an instance in Azure.

re:
> Appreciate all that you folks at Unidata do!

Thanks for the kind words!

Ticket ID: FTE-966141
Department: Support Datastream