[Datastream #BWY-785845]: Question about National Mosaic Radar Data

Hi Munsung,

re:
> I am sorry, but I would like to get one more comment from you.
> Now, I have a plan to download the national composite data regularly
> (once a day for the whole data on the date).
>
> Based on your comments, I guess that the data on the thredds server
> may not exist sometimes due to the disk issues. So, in order to get
> the whole data without any missing, directly using the web server
> might be better.
>
> Am I right?

No, not quite.  The THREDDS server serves the same data that is also
available via the web server, but with more services (data subsecting,
etc.).  Both servers were affected by the disk issue that occurred
on May 24.

So, what are the different use cases for the THREDDS server versus
the web server?

One can access the THREDDS server programatically, meaning that an
application can make a request to a THREDDS server, and it will
hand back all or part of the data requested.

The only thing that one can do through the web server is download
entire data files.

I suggested going through the web server to you since you wanted
to grab all of the files for a particular day.

Now, as far as grabbing all of the NEXRAD Level III composite
imagery from the web server we operate, we don't like users doing
this ** especially ** when the same data is being delivered to
the user's institution in real time via our Internet Data Distribution
(IDD) system.  We are pretty sure that UIowa is already getting the data
you want, so we would _much_ prefer that you work with folks in charge
of the IDD at UIowa to get the data you want.  Please ask around your
department to see who is in charge of/managing the IDD and ask them
how you can get the NEXRAD Level III composite data in real time.

Ticket ID: BWY-785845
Department: Support Datastream