[IDD #QVT-165295]: SSEC McIDAS AREA File Archive

Hi Brendon and Jim,

re:
> We're having trouble accessing the archive of McIDAS AREA files. The
> server idd.ssec.wisc.edu is pingable, but our credentials are not
> providing access.

The disk on idd.ssec.wisc.edu (aka adde.ssec.wisc.edu) experienced a
hard failure last week.  Efforts aimed at recovering the Solaris
installation failed, so we decided to move ahead with our long-term
plan of migrating from Solaris 10 to CentOS.  Since we have not completed
the move, the web server on idd.ssec.wisc.edu has not been turned on
yet.

> I checked http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html but this page
> hasn't changed since 2014.  Do you know how we can access archived AREA
> files?

The motherlode class servers that we operate have a near term rolling
archive of most of the data that is delivered in the IDD.  For instance,
motherlode.unidata.ucar.edu has close to one month of both Unidata-Wisconsin
and NOAAPort GINI satellite imagery.  The access to these images is
different than via the idd_ARCHIVE link that was in existence on
idd.ssec.wisc.edu:

http://motherlode.unidata.ucar.edu

  GINI images:
  Raw [unconverted] data archives
  http://motherlode.unidata.ucar.edu/native/

    satellite -> ...

  Unidata-Wisconsin images:

  Decoded data archives
  http://motherlode.unidata.ucar.edu/decoded/

    gempak -> areas -> ...

If you are looking for Unidata-Wisconsin images that are older than what
is available on our motherlode systems (motherlode.unidata.ucar.edu and
atm.ucar.edu), you need to request that SSEC restore the images from their
archive.  We will, of course, need to reenable the web server on
idd.ssec.wisc.edu for you to be able to access the old hierarchy again.

Question:

- hold old are the images that you were wanting to grab?

Ticket ID: QVT-165295
Department: Support IDD