[IDD #QVT-165295]: SSEC McIDAS AREA File Archive

Hi Jim,

re:
> I never did see the files under idd.ssec.wisc.edu/uniwisc/realtime,

I just finished debugging the utility I wrote to backfill the archive this
morning.
I was going to convert the contents of the backup directory to neartime
directories
this morning.

re:
> but I was able to
> get the needed png files from idd.ssec.wisc.edu/uniwisc/backup and decode
> them with the
> ldm-mcidas decoder. pnga2area, into formats that worked well with mcidas.

Excellent!

FYI:

McIDAS, GEMPAK and the IDV know how to use the PNG-compressed AREA file
images directly.  The reason for doing the conversion is so that users of
other packages (e.g., WXP, AWIPS, etc.) can use the images.

After converting the staged images under the backup hierarchy, we are
going to ask SSEC to back fill another month or two from their archives
under the neartime hierarchy.  This is all part of the resurrection of
the capabilities/services that idd.ssec.wisc.edu's provided in its
previous life as a Solaris 10 platform.

re:
> It really didn't take long for the download and decode process.

Super!  The unPNGing process is actually reasonably light weight,
so not taking much time is what I would have expected.

re:
> Thanks again for the help in getting the missing data for me. The missing
> data was from
> a period when I was on a 20-day trip to Alaska and Canada and when I got
> back, there was
> another delay because annually there are some hoops to get me the
> authorizations I need
> to log into the Plymouth State computers.

No worries.

I'm curious: is Plymouth routinely downloading images from the Unidata-Wisconsin
rolling archive for use in a local archive?  Again, just curious...

re:
> P.S. I thought I sent this yesterday, but this was still in my draft folder.
> I'm not
> fond of now having Plymouth State now having Microsoft handling the e-mail.
> It does
> some strange things.

I seem to remember that Brendon made the same kind of a comment!  I'm glad
that we are using Gmail!  Also, I use Thunderbird as my email client, and
I can easily access/use all of the email accounts I have with various
vendors... nice and easy!

Ticket ID: QVT-165295
Department: Support Datastream