Re: 20020822: ldm-5.2 pqsurf problems on IRIX (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:08:57 -0400
From: "[ISO-8859-1] Christian Pagé" <address@hidden>
To: Greg Thompson <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 20020822: ldm-5.2 pqsurf problems on IRIX

Hi Greg,

Yes I would be very interested in the code.
We do have MySQL running on our LDM/Apache machine, so I could use right
away the code.
I am not that familiar with MySQL, but how do you setup the location of
the database (since it can be quite huge).
Is there a way to build an archive from raw wmo metar data using this
code too?

Thanks a lot,

Christian Pagé

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 11:15 AM, Greg Thompson wrote:

> Christian,
>
> there were long-standing problems with pqsurf like stability
> and ability to ingest all METARs (our raw files always had ALL
> METARs while our gdbm files always missed some METARs like
> Canadian SPECIs).  We had horrible stability issues when we
> changed Linux systems from Debian to Red Hat (pqsurf used to
> stay alive for weeks at a time then die unexpectedly under
> Debian but then it began dying every day or two under Red Hat).
> Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and re-wrote the
> "metar2nc" Unidata decoder to ingest/decode METARs and populate
> a MySQL database.  I spent nearly 150 hours re-writing the
> decoder to handle ALL METARs not just the U.S. ones.  This DB
> is far, far better than either raw text files or NetCDF files.
> You can see the database in action on two websites I maintain:
>    http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/
>    http://adds.aviationweather.gov/projects/adds/metars/
>
> If you're interested in this technique, I can share the code
> with you.  Though it is currently MySQL specific, it would not
> take much effort to adapt it to either Oracle, mSQL, PostgresSQL,
> or other db systems.
>
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Greg Thompson       http://www.rap.ucar.edu/~gthompsn/       |
> |                     Research Applications Program            |
> | (303) 497-2805      National Center for Atmospheric Research |
> |    (fax) -8401      P.O. Box 3000  Boulder, CO 80307-3000    |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+

>>> Christian,
>>>
>>> I'm glad you found the problem. Actually we are trying to depreciate
>>> the
>>> pqsurf code because it breaks when every there's a major change in the
>>> bulletins. I believe the folks at RAP are working on a solution. I'll
>>> cc
>>> Celia at RAP, maybe she can  point us to a contact person working on
>>> the
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> RObb...

Christian Pagé
address@hidden
http://meteocentre.com/    http://meteoalerte.com/

Etudiant au Doctorat en Sciences de l'environnement UQAM
+1 514 987 3000 ext. 2376