Re: RUC2 cataloged on motherlode

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Ethan Davis wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Robb changed most of the gribtonc CDLs for the model data. I think most of the
> changes were to the attribute information. I didn't realize that the variable
> names got changed. Robb?
>
> Ethan
>
> Tom Whittaker wrote:
> >
> > Ethan/Tom:
> >
> > Thanks again for doing this.  We've been merrily getting data...except
> > that some time in the past couple of weeks something changed.  We used
> > to get ~30 levels of data, now we get ~20 (that's okay, because aloft
> > we're only using 300mb winds)...but also the u-, v-, and RH values near
> > the ground used to be parameters like RH_lpfg (a few levels) but now
> > they are RH_fhg.  Do you know what gives?  Did "they" change the RUC2 or
> > something?

Hiya,

The cdls did change, the variable names still follow the NUWG convention.
There's a new program called gribtocdl that creates the cdls from the
grib file instead of me hand creating it.  This makes all the vars the
same in the cdls, good for client programs ie IDV.  If a variable is
missing from the data (cdl) then it wasn't in the raw grib file or
there's a error in gribtocdl.  I'll check on this and get back to you.

RH_fhg and RH_lpdg are two different vars according to gribtonc.

Robb...